- You have been referred to this page to warn you that the preceeding link is a link to the valuable-but imperfect Wikipedia.
- For those of you who don't already know, Wikipedia is an "open source" encyclopedia. This means that anyone can write & edit the entries -- whether they actually know anything about the topic or not.
- Many of Wikipedia's entries are excellent. Some are misleading, slanted, biased, inflamatory, or outright wrong.
- The basic message: buyer beware! Wikipedia can be a terrific starting point for learning about a new topic, but never bet too much on its accuracy.
- Wikipedia's own guidelines for people writing entries.
- A Wikipedia page commenting on the accuracy of Wikipedia: Wikipedia in Schools.
- A study published by scienticif journal Nature arrives at relatively positive evaluation of Wikipedia.
- A story from the New York Times: Snared in the Web of a Wikipedia Liar
Feel free to link to this page if you think you need to issue a Wiki-Warning.